Tuesday, July 06, 2004

CRASH

I am pretty forgiving when it comes to movies. I try to figure out the creator's purpose. Once I find out what that is, I can enjoy a movie on its own terms. I think I mentioned this on how I rate movies based on their genre as opposed to all movies on the same scale. That is how "Pajama Party" and "Being There" can both rate 5s in my book.

I can think of only a few movies that I have had trouble with this ability. The one that comes to mind this morning is "Crash". I will not deny it was a powerful movie. I saw it once only, possibly 7 years ago and am still thinking about it. I remember wanting to see i,t because then New Line Films Owner: Ted Turner, delayed it's release until after he sold the company. This contrasts greatly with the recent Disney Miramax 9/11 squabble.

I thought "How dare he?" Sure, he is the owner and all, but David Cronenberg is an artiste, what is he thinking? Crash, if you do not know, is about an underground society of people sexually aroused by car crashes. The concept was just beyond my comprehension. I am pretty sure I finished watching the movie. But then again, I can name only one movie I walked out of a theater on. I decline to name it at this time.

But needing a purpose, I found one. This movie put me in the perspective of sexual misunderstanding. I am a gay man, and I repeatedly hear from my straight brethren that they "do not understand" or "There is now way..." in reference to gay sex. Until seeing this movie, I did not understand that feeling. I always pegged it as some sort of sexually repressed denial. But having seen Crash, and feeling the same way about Crash Fetishes, I have an understanding that "not understanding & never" are indeed possible.

I still did not like the movie, but I liked the effect it had. If that as the directors intent - Bravo! Now I am much more open-minded about people's sexual predications

--Motto--
Mens conscia recti
-a Mind concious of what is right.
###

No comments: