Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Give 5

Well my spring 2015 volunteer work has been scheduled. In May I've agreed to help at Dakota City Heritage Village on 5 seperate days. One of which I'll be school master for the One Room School program. 2 of which, I'll be an apprentice blacksmith. Once a store keeper and the fifth to be determined as needed.

In 2014, other commitments interfered with my being able to participate much there. It is so rewarding.  Interested kids and adults learn by hands on history. One of my favorite things I do, is equate new fangled activities with a 1900 counterpart. Ordering Online is like the Wards Catalog shopping. Text messages are like telegrams.  Kids get a kick out of it.

Up in Aitkin, it even came up as fellow visitors to the Depot Museum were curious about artifacts, that were familiar to me from Dakota City. Also in Aitkin this year, my Log Cabin project is moving forward in a big way. The vintage logs from a depression era resort cabin have been delivered and stacked on my property in Glen. Reassembly will commence after site selection. I've offered to document the process for the historical socierty, as they have a book about Aitkin County resorts in process. This very afternoon, I discussed this with the director.

No comments: