Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Chatty Clerks

Ever wait in a line behind someone that insists on carrying on a conversation with the clerk. First you think its related to the transaction, then you see the give and take of rel conversation. To what end? Lines can be long enough, and that little bit of "golden time" talking with the clerk about their views on the state of NCAA Lacrosse, does not make up for the time wasted getting up to that point.

If there is a line, chit chat should be kept to a minimum. There are ways to be pleasant without feeling the need to pour your heart out to someone. I would not want to live in a society where its like the "Soup Nazi on Seinfeld".

Tonight I did get a 10% discount because the clerk proceeded to tell the indecisive family of 6 in front of me, which colleges are acceptable for her 17 year old to consider. I did not ask. I did not look as exasperated as I felt. I hope. So she must have known how incompetent she was. Not about the conversation, but for not knowing where any of the buttons were on the register. I was waiting to hear "where's the one?" or "The any key?" All the orders were missing something by the time they appeared on the computer screen. Sprinkles on a cone, pecans on a sundae. For me it was the chips in my mocha chip blizzard. This of course was conversation unrelated.

Old grocery clerks are notorious for the chattophilia. Sometimes they get so involved in their off-topics they forget the minor details, like giving you your cash back on your debit card. One even had to ask me how much I got, even though I told her as I was pressing the buttons.

I was in the service industry a long time. I know how special the human connection can be with service people. But you run a risk when you possibly irritate your other and future customers. When I was waiting tables I spread myself around to all the tables at one point in the meal, so some did not feel lesser. It can be very irritating if you feel you have to be best friends with the staff to get any service. For that matter, I made a point to be a bit chatty with strangers. But I did not do it to the detriment of service.


--Motto--
Mens conscia recti
-a Mind concious of what is right.
###

No comments: