Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Fox Fx Fail

Is Fox Discriminating against its Dish Network viewers?  Magic 8-ball says "Signs Point To Yes"

Why has a conclusion been drawn on Fox discrimination against Dish customers?
There is simple tacit evidence. Today, I began the process of linking my Fox and FX Roku channels.  It is a process I was used to with HBOGO, History and others.  

The onscreen instructions were clear. First I went to the Fox activate web page, which in turn had me choose my "television provider" Dish. Dish in turn required me to log into my Dish account. Again, it was very routine.  The FXnow process was a near carbon copy of the Fox process right up until Dish was not an option for TV providers. I clicked not found and was unceremoniously informed that Dish subscribers are denied access to FXnow.

No explanation was given, but in an Engadget article cited in an adjacent blog post, the FX connection to the actual Fox News dispute was made.

So Fox is not blocking Dish customers from watching a channel they pay for, but the much touted app.End result for many is now some FX viewers can hate Fox News for reasons other than its programing. The censorship of unrelated content.

This blogger sees a TORRENT of viewer disapproval with FX networks.  I suspect iTunes and Google Play may get a windfall from viewers that miss the airings on FX. Will some angry users unfairly singled out due to greed, look to more creative interpretation of time shifting, to justify a no no under DMCA? Hard to tell.
Prohibition led to mom and pop buying booze from gangsters. Just saying #foxfail

No comments: